Music by Richard Reed Parry, Dan Deacon, Ben Frost, Anna Thorvaldsdottir, Glenn Kotche, Caroline Shaw, Jace Clayton, Nico Muhly, Gabriella Smith, Paula Matthusen, Zhang Shouwang, Juan Felipe Waller, René Lussier
New York’s electric chamber supergroup, the Bang on a Can All-Stars (Ashley Bathgate, cello; Robert Black, bass; Vicky Chow, piano; David Cossin, percussion; Mark Stewart, electric guitar; Ken Thomson, clarinets), will release a new album, More Field Recordings, on Cantaloupe Music on October 27, 2017.
This is the second installment in the All-Stars’ commissioned composer series, following 2015’s Field Recordings on Cantaloupe, which explores strange new terrain where found sound, samples, and archival audio collide with contemporary classical music, written by a wide range of artists. More Field Recordings was produced by All-Stars percussionist David Cossin and Rob Friedman.
In keeping with the “ground rules” of the Field Recordings project, each composer was asked to go into the field of recorded sound itself — to find something old or record something new, and to respond with their own music, in dialogue with what they found.
Featuring new works by thirteen artists including Richard Reed Parry (Arcade Fire), Caroline Shaw, Anna Thorvaldsdottir, Dan Deacon, Ben Frost, Glenn Kotche, Jace Clayton, Nico Muhly, Gabriella Smith, Paula Matthusen, Zhang Shouwang, Juan Felipe Waller, and René Lussier, this two-disc set embraces the classical and electronic influences of the first Field Recordings collection and extends its reach into futuristic worlds of ambient and ethereal sound.
Learn more and order the album at www.cantaloupemusic.com
1. Caroline Shaw Really Craft When You (7:02)
2. Gabriella Smith Panitao (4:21)
3. Jace Clayton Lethe’s Children (4:41)
4. Paula Matthusen the ontology of an echo (5:49)
5. Glenn Kotche Time Spirals (6:32)
6. Zhang Shouwang Courtyards in Central Beijing (5:43)
7. Nico Muhly Comfortable Cruising Altitude (4:40)
1. Ben Frost Negative Ghostrider (7:49)
2. Richard Reed Parry The Brief and Neverending Blur (5:08)
3. Anna Thorvaldsdottir Fields (5:41)
4. Dan Deacon Sago An Ya Rev (6:04)
5. Juan Felipe Waller Hybrid Ambiguities (6:18)
6. René Lussier Nocturnal (6:35)